Friday 28 November 2014

Exploiting Ted talks

I'm a bit late to the Flipped Learning Party, but even I can see the potential of Ted.com to get students doing work outside the class that can lead to really interesting and productive lessons in the classroom.

I took this very interesting talk by Emily Balcetis and put together a lesson that you might find interesting. The goals of this lesson were to:

  • encourage students to do listening practice outside of class
  • encourage discussion in the follow up class
  • introduce the idea of assessing a speaker (my students have to give presentations so it is nice to get them looking at talks critically)
  • introduce/consolidate some ways of evaluating the reliability of a source
Please let me know if you used the lesson, if you found it useful and if you have any suggestions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment